Friday, November 2, 2012

Polyphasic Sleep

Or Biphasic to be specific. For those who don't know what the heck I'm talking about here's a summary:

Monophasic sleep is what the majority of the world does. One period of sleep in a 24 hour day. Usually ranging from 7 to 9 hours.
Polyphasic sleep is splitting that time, spacing it throughout the day in an effort to get more REM sleep and add hours of awake time to your day.
Biphasic is essentially a form of Polyphasic that is supposed to be a healthier and easier alternative to say the Uberman schedule.
My boyfriend, Aaron, and I will be attempting Heidiphasic, which is 4.5 hours plus two 20 minute naps.
Sleep Schedule:
1500-1520
2200-2230
0100-0530

Starting today, November 2, I just napped from 1500-1520. Went pretty well actually :D Had a half day today and doing nothing around the house, watching netflix and painting my nails can get pretty tiring ya know. I put a playlist of softer Regina Spektor music on and set it so it would turn off after playing for half an hour. (Sadly I can't set it to exactly twenty minutes.) After previous experiments with WILD (a form of lucid dreaming), I was familiar with methods on how to fall asleep quickly, and although I never fell completely asleep, I did have slight waking dreams, woke up naturally, and felt pretty rested afterward.
For me, the music definitely helped because I could keep track somewhat of how long I'd been laying there and could later roughly recall how much sleep I had actually gotten based on what songs, or parts of songs I remembered hearing. Plus music helps me fall asleep naturally anyway. We'll see how tonight's nap goes. Aaron will be joining me on this one.

Till then,
Molly

Edit:
2200 nap went well. :) Followed the same routine. Didn't wake up feeling quite as rested as I had for the first nap but that's understandable. I was also a bit more tired going into it compared to before. I think that's it. See ya in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment